Total Solid Waste Generation
Solid Waste Generation by County
Figure 1: The above graph shows solid waste generated by each county in 2018. Note: The City and County of Honolulu compiles its recycling data by calendar year, while Kauaʻi, Maui, and Hawaiʻi Counties compile data by fiscal year.
Learn More and Make a Difference
- Hawaii County’s Solid Waste program.
- Find out more about Hawaii County’s goal of zero waste.
- Recycle Hawaii is a 501(c)3 non-profit educational organization who offers free public recycling educational services on behalf of the County of Hawai`i, the State Department of Health, and others.
- Kauai County, Public Works, Division of Solid Waste provides information about Kauai’s solid waste program.
- Find out more about Kauai County’s zero waste resolution.
- Learn about solid waste services on Maui, Molokai and Lanai.
- Find out more about Maui County’s zero waste campaign.
- Maui County’s Integrated Solid Waste Management Plan (published, 2009).
- City and County of Honolulu, Department of Environmental Services provides information about Oahu’s solid waste program, as well as many educational tools and resources within their learning center, and online resource library.
- The State of Hawaii Department of Health, Solid & Hazardous Waste Branch provides information about solid waste rules, links to permit applications and instructions, as well as fact sheets and publications with information on public issues and instructions for responsible ways to reduce, recycle, and dispose of specific waste materials.
- The Environmental Protection Agency, West Coast Climate and Materials Management Forum is an EPA-led partnership of western cities and states that are developing and sharing ways to integrate lifecycle materials management policies and practices into climate actions.
- The US Environmental Protection Agency provides a plethora of information on Solid Waste.